Monday, September 8, 2008

hope.

A couple of weeks ago I read a story, a tragic story about a horrible plane crash. Since the day that I read that story I have not been able to get it out of my mind. I think about it constantly and the huge effect it has had on the family and the followers of those who have heard it. The story of a wonderful woman and her adorable husband that she simply refers to as Mr. Nielson. On August 16th Stephanie and Christian Nielson were flying by private plan from New Mexico to their home in Ariziona when the plane went down. The instructor that they were flying with passed away, but the Nielson survived. But they are not ok. 30% of Christians body was burned and 80% of Stephanie's body. The recovery that they face is huge. The medical bills are in the millions. Stephanie, also known as Nie-Nie started a blog in 2005 to keep in touch with her family here in Utah. Even before this accident she had a huge following on her blog. She writes about raising her 4 children and the blessing of being a mother. She writes about the love she has for her husband and you can hear the love in her words. When I read it I was brought to tears. You can see what a fun mom she was. She writes about seeing her girls twirling in the living room so she moved all the furniture out of the room, cranked the music and let them dance. She writes notes to her Mr. Nielson about how she misses him so much while he is away on business. She makes a back to school feast for her girls, with crown and decorated tables- followed by a fashion show of new school clothes. Their story was recently published in New York Times and has had an effect on so many people. Her sister lives here in Provo Utah and has taken in her four children. She also has a blog called c jane run where she writes about updates of the Nielson and the struggle of it all. Stephanie had a tradition every year on everyones birthday, she would have everyone attach a wish to a balloon and send it up to heaven. This has caught on. There has been people all over the WORLD that have attached well wishes for the Nielsons to a balloon and sent them to heaven.

This picture is just from the people in Utah. I don't know why I have been so pulled in to this story but it really has touched me. I check almost daily for updates and new posts on them. I feel like I know them and their family even though I don't. I pray for them and truly hope that they can recover. I'm not the only one who has been pulled in by this story. There have been so many people that write about what a huge affect Nie-Nie has had on them. The way her blog gave them a whole different view on parenting. How awesome it is that one person can touch so many people by living their life the way the should. And seeing so much good in life. This is their cute family just months before the accident. It is so neat to see the way that their family has come togther to help with their children and organize donations. There is nothing in this world as great at family. I with this family the very best. I hope they can recover quickly.
(If you would like to help the Nielson's you can make donations at www.nierecovery.com.)

2 comments:

Finch Family said...

I heard about this a while ago and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it either. They are such an amazing family. I have been reading her past blogs, I want to be as good of mom as her!

Laura said...

Puts things into perspective, doesn't it???