Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Who said six was an unlucky number?

Skydiving: noun: the sport of jumping from an airplane at a moderate altitude and executing various body maneuvers before pulling the rip cord of a parachute.

I have a confession.
I am addicted to falling out of airplanes.
the rush.
the suit.
the 14,000 feet.
the adrenaline.
It is an experience that is so hard to put
into words. It's a float not a fall. It's breathtaking, literally. And it is, hands down, the most amazing thing I have ever experienced.

It all began two years ago on my birthday, Amber and I had talked forever about how we wanted to skydive, it was a lot of talk, not a whole lot of action. But then, on the day before my twentieth birthday it was happening. We got rain out that day, but would were determined to not let it get us down. We were back. We jumped. We fell. We loved it! And so the addiction began. From that day on it was become a tradition to jump every year on her birthday, and on mine. Sunday was jump #6. Chase, Shane, Me, Amber, Kelly and Dayne. We all took the plunge. They were all first timers except Amber and I, and t
hey too, are all addicted to the rush. There is always a brief moment when you are hanging your toes over the edge of a open door of an airplane at 14,000 feet that you think to yourself "Am I out of my freaking mind?!" And then it happens, the nudge, coming from the guy stapped to your back forcing you to fall, that sends you threw that open door. And as you fall doing flips threw the air, seeing the plane drift away, your cheeks fill with wind, your eyes begin the water, your limbs fly freely threw the air, it is then that it hits you. This is incredible! Nothing you will ever do in your life will give you the same sense of thrill as that moment, and you fall in love with the fall....

5 comments:

Lori said...

You are one crazy girl. I will do alot of things, but jumping out of a perfectly good airplane, NOT

Laura said...

I'll put on the suit. I think I can absolutely wear that suit. But the jump? Don't think I could ever do it. You are amazing. And I'll bet your are the cutest thing to ever jump from a plane!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Now that is something I would have done when I was your age. Get it out of your system, because once you have kids, your daring days are over.

Brooke said...

Carlie,
Its been forever since i have seen you! Not sure if you remember me i'm Chasty's step sister Brooke I saw your blog and its so cute! I hope your doing good keep in touch.
Brooke

Brooke said...

Carlie,
Chasty is doing good as far as i know, i'm not sure if you know but my mom and Glen got a divorce but i try to keep in touch with Chasty, She is in Hawaii right now she just moved there she is going to school. Thats funny that Sarah is your siter in law i have known her since 2nd grade.